Wednesday, February 3, 2010

#1: V Cuisine


Over the holidays I reorganized my bookshelves and discovered that I own over one hundred cookbooks. From all of these, I have probably used about five recipes in total. So in effort to infuse meaning into the stuff that takes up space in my apartment, I have decided to cook one recipe from each book. I will do this hopefully at least once a week. At this rate it will take me about two years, and in that time several more publishing seasons will go by and I'll probably own another 50 or so books. But I don't want to be too ambitious and then fail, so, once a week it is.

Let us begin:

V Cuisine: The Art of New Vegan Cooking
by Angeline Linardis
© 2007 Whitecap Books

Panko-Stuffed Portobello Caps

I intended to deveganize this recipe by adding some cheese on top at the end, but I forgot. And it really didn't need it. Tastes great -- and no animals harmed! Or even milked!


The stuffing is a mix of sautéed onions, red peppers, celery, garlic and parsley, mixed with sage, oregano and panko crumbs, held together with some vegetable stock. I sprinkled more panko on top, and baked at 475°F for about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment